Dr. RAMÓN LLULL CERDÁ
Aesthetic and reconstructive surgery
Dr. Ramón Llull, Plàstica Director and SECPRE member, is an internationally recognized plastic and reconstructive surgeon with over 20 years experience in regenerative medicine along with a successful scientific career. Dr. Llull works to improve the current aesthetic surgery treatments and related fields by developing highly innovative technologies only to achieve his famous natural look results.
Born and raised in Mallorca, Spain, Dr. Llull obtained his medical degree with honors at University of Navarra, Spain in 1988. Awarded a Fullbright-Hyes Commission Scholarship, he moved to California to undertake his doctoral studies at University of California, Irvine. He received his PhD degree in cell biology and Immunology in 1992. His research of the immunological aspects of musculoskeletal tissue transplantation received the Henry Christian Memorail Award (1991) for Excellence in Research from the Association of American Physicians and was sponsored by the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation and the American Association for Hand Surgery. Following a research post-doctoral year at the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute and a microsuregy fellowship at the Division of Plastic Surgery in Pittsburgh, Dr. Llull obtained a Diploma from the European College of Transplantation.
He subsequently entered a plastic surgery clinical training at the University of Pittsburgh residency program. He was soon awarded the 1994 young investigator award from the International Transplantation Society and awards by the ASPS and the PSEF. Dr. Llull actively participated in the Pittsburgh’s Tissue Engineering Initiative on several projects related to cell and developmental biology in soft tissues, specifically adipose tissue. He has co-authored more than 30 scientific publications, holds several US and international patents related to cell related biotechnology and conceived, designed and validated devices, reagents and processes, all related to surgical cell therapy.
Staff surgeon both at Clinica PalmaPlanas and Hospital del Mar in Barcelona until 2002, he was soon appointed Chief of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the MD Anderson Cancer Center, in Madrid, Spain until 2009. Since then, Dr. Llull has directed SME Stem Europe Center in Mallorca, and currently has founded CELL PRO TECH SPAIN SLU a Cell Therapy Translational and Clinical Research Center. At Plàstica, with a seasoned team to design and execute clinical trials related to tissue engraftment and neogenesis for reconstructive and cosmetic indications.
Dr. Llull is a founding member of Cell Source (currently Cytori), The GID Group, Ltd, and is a Scientific Board Member of Antria, ClusterXStem and others. He is a proud a founding member and President of the International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics and Science (IFATS), consults for several biotech companies.
2. Marc H Hedrick, Adam J Katz, Ramon Llull, J William Futrell, Prosper Benhaim, Hermann Peter Lorenz, Min Zhu: Adipose-derived stem cells and lattices. May, 1 2003: US 20030082152
3. Adam J Katz, Ramon Llull, J William Futrell, Marc H Hedrick, Frank R Walters: System and method for refining liposuctioned adipose tissue. University of Pittsburgh Nov, 13 2001: US 6316247
4. John K Fraser, Marc H Hedrick, Ramon Llull: Systems and methods for treating patients with collagen-rich material extracted from adipose tissue. Aug, 28 2003: US 20030162707
5. Adam J Katz, Ramon Llull: Tissue dissociating system and method. University of Pittsburgh Jul, 28 1998: US5786207
2. Dos-Anjos, S., Llull R. , Mendel TA. 2013. Returning Fat Grafts to Physiologic Conditions Using Washing. Plastic and reconstructive surgery 132 (2): 323e-325e
3. Dos-Anjos, S., Mercader, J., Katz., AJ., Llull, R. 2013 New device for stromal vascular fraction isolation from human lipoaspirates: method and cell quality analysis. Nuevo dispositivo para el aislamiento de la fracción estromal vascular a partir de lipoaspirados humanos: método de obtención y análisis de calidad celular. Cir.plást. iberolatinoam.-Vol. 39-Supl. 1-2013/Pag. S39-S43
4. Medalie DA, Llull R, Heckler F. 2011. The iliacus muscle flap: an anatomical and clinical evaluation. Plastic and reconstructive surgery 127:1553-60